I’d like to talk to someone about renouncing my U.S citizenship
Renounce US Citizenship
Renouncing US citizenship is becoming a bittersweet reality for many Americans living abroad. Of course it’s a very serious matter and must be carefully considered. The process once complete, is irreversible. Travel to the US may require a Visa, or whatever is typically required by a person from the country that you’re also a citizen of.
Prerequisites for renouncing citizenship:
- US$2,350 ready to pay the US embassy.
- Form DS-4079 unsigned. You’ll sign it at the embassy.
- Your SSN and ID documents (below)
- Your latest 5 years of federal tax returns prepared and filed, ready to file or being prepared.
You’ll need the following documents:
1. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport)
2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable
3. Bio-pages of all current foreign passports
4. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable
5. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable
6. Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for instance marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)
- Once you have the above in order, you can schedule your appointment at your local US embassy.
- Most Embassies allow you to book online or over the phone.
- You’ll need Form DS 4079 which we provide within our Renunciation Packages, completed and checked.
- You’ll need to pay the embassy $2,350 USD or equivalent in your currency, and most embassies accept card payments.
- Renunciation will become official on reciting the Oath of Renunciation and you will be issued a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
IRS Streamlined – I Haven’t Filed US Tax Returns For 10 Years…
I don’t have 5 years of US tax returns, how do I start?
Book your embassy renunciation appointment ASAP as there are long waiting lists. There are links below to some embassies.
If you haven’t filed tax returns in the last 5 years, start by completing the IRS Streamlined Amnesty program with us. Click on the “START NOW | Pay Later” button above and complete the tax questionnaire. This will provide 3 years of tax returns.
Once you have completed the questionnaire, we’ll prepare another two tax returns for you. Depending on your circumstances, we’ll typically prepare one tax return for the year prior to the Streamlined Amnesty program, and one after.
Once you’ve attended your embassy appointment, we’ll prepare your final tax return including the all-important Form 8854.
Wait for your Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
State Department – Renunciation of U.S. Nationality Abroad
American Embassies in the United Kingdom are in London, Edinburgh and Belfast
American Embassy in France
American Embassy in Germany
American Embassy in Australia