I’d like to talk to someone about renouncing my U.S citizenship
Renounce US Citizenship: Relief Procedures for Certain Citizens
Renouncing US citizenship is becoming a bittersweet reality for many Americans living abroad. Of course, it’s a very serious matter and must be carefully considered. The process once complete is irreversible. Travel to the US may require an ESTA, Visa, or whatever is typically required by a person from the country that you’re also a citizen of.
The special Relief Procedures for Certain Citizens are designed for American citizens that haven’t previously filed US tax returns (except a 1040-NR). They may or may not have a US Social Security Number and hold citizenship of another country.
Prerequisites for renouncing citizenship:
- US$2,350 ready to pay the US embassy.
- Form DS-4079 unsigned. You’ll sign it at the embassy.
- You do NOT need to have a Social Security Number.
- Your latest 5 years of federal tax returns prepared and filed, ready to file or being prepared.
You’ll need the following documents:
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport)
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable
- Bio-pages of all current foreign passports
- Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable
- Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable
- Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for instance marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)
- Once you have the above in order, you can schedule your appointment at your local US embassy.
- Most embassies allow you to book online or over the phone.
- You’ll need Form DS 4079 which we provide within our Renunciation Packages, completed and checked.
- You’ll need to pay the embassy US$2,350 or equivalent in your currency, and most embassies accept card payments.
- Renunciation will become official on reciting the Oath of Renunciation and you will be issued a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
IRS Streamlined – I Haven’t Filed US Tax Returns For 10 Years…
How to get started without the required 5 years of tax returns:
- Book your embassy renunciation appointment ASAP as there are long waiting lists. There are links below to some embassies.
- If you haven’t filed tax returns in the last 5 years, start by completing our tax questionnaire for the most recent tax year available.
- Once you’ve completed the questionnaire, we’ll prepare another four tax returns for you. Depending on your circumstances, we’ll typically prepare the most efficient tax returns.
- Attend your renunciation appointment with your US$2,350, the ID documents noted on this page and Form DS-4079 we give you.
- After you’ve completed your renunciation appointment we can start to prepare you final tax return and Form 8854. It can’t be filed until the next tax season opens.
- Wait for your Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
State Department – Renunciation of U.S. Nationality Abroad
American Embassies in the United Kingdom are in London, Edinburgh and Belfast
American Embassy in France
American Embassy in Germany
American Embassy in Australia
Frequently Asked Questions about Renouncing Your U.S. Citizenship