I’d like to talk to someone about renouncing my U.S citizenship
Renounce US Citizenship: Relief Procedures for Certain Citizens
Renouncing US citizenship is becoming a bittersweet reality for many Americans living abroad. Of course, it’s a very serious matter and must be carefully considered. The process once complete is irreversible. Travel to the US may require an ESTA, Visa, or whatever is typically required by a person from the country that you’re also a citizen of.
The special Relief Procedures for Certain Citizens are designed for American citizens that haven’t previously filed US tax returns (except a 1040-NR). They may or may not have a US Social Security Number and hold citizenship of another country.
Prerequisites for renouncing citizenship:
- US$2,350 ready to pay the US embassy.
- Form DS-4079 unsigned. You’ll sign it at the embassy.
- You do NOT need to have a Social Security Number.
- Your latest 5 years of federal tax returns prepared and filed, ready to file or being prepared.
You’ll need the following documents:
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport)
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable
- Bio-pages of all current foreign passports
- Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable
- Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable
- Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for instance marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)
- Once you have the above in order, you can schedule your appointment at your local US embassy.
- Most embassies allow you to book online or over the phone.
- You’ll need Form DS 4079 which we provide within our Renunciation Packages, completed and checked.
- You’ll need to pay the embassy US$2,350 or equivalent in your currency, and most embassies accept card payments.
- Renunciation will become official on reciting the Oath of Renunciation and you will be issued a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
IRS Streamlined – I Haven’t Filed US Tax Returns For 10 Years…
How to get started without the required 5 years of tax returns:
- Book your embassy renunciation appointment ASAP as there are long waiting lists. There are links below to some embassies.
- If you haven’t filed tax returns in the last 5 years, start by completing our tax questionnaire for the most recent tax year available.
- Once you’ve completed the questionnaire, we’ll prepare another four tax returns for you. Depending on your circumstances, we’ll typically prepare the most efficient tax returns.
- Attend your renunciation appointment with your US$2,350, the ID documents noted on this page and Form DS-4079 we give you.
- After you’ve completed your renunciation appointment we can start to prepare you final tax return and Form 8854. It can’t be filed until the next tax season opens.
- Wait for your Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.
State Department – Renunciation of U.S. Nationality Abroad
American Embassies in the United Kingdom are in London, Edinburgh and Belfast
American Embassy in France
American Embassy in Germany
American Embassy in Australia